Roles and Resources
Association of Space Explorers NEO Chair
Prepare a brief statement about what we're doing to protect ourselves from the threat of impact.
- What percentage of “near Earth objects” have been identified?
- When might this research be complete and at what cost?
- What obstacles are there in developing and implementing a plan to avert disaster?
Prepare a brief statement about what happens when an impact takes place.
- When was the last time an asteroid collided with Earth?
- What impact did that collision have on life on Earth?
- What range of dangers might the Earth face as a result of a collision?
Congressional Oversight Official
Prepare a brief statement about the current state of NEO survey programs.
- What would complying with Congress’ 2005 NASA authorization bill entail?
- What is "Spaceguard"? Is it enough?
- How is communication between NASA and Congress? How might it be improved?
Homeland Security Officer
Prepare a brief statement about the risk and allocation of Homeland Security resources.
- Who should be responsible for planetary defense?
- Should government plans be made public?
- Should a potenital large impact be made public?
Be prepared to ask questions of all others.